Once you find the best trap for containing a vole, it is important to identify the perfect bait to lure it in. Read below to learn about suggested baits and more trapping tips.
Best Vole Baits
Voles are primarily herbivores, so the best baits to use in a vole trap will be plant pased.
The best Vole baits include:
How to Bait a Vole Trap
It's very important that you position your bait properly to ensure the animal will enter the trap and the doors close behind him. The best baiting technique will:
- Lead the vole all the way inside the trap.
- Force the vole to engage the trigger.
Tip: Apply a small amount of bait directly onto the trigger pan. This way the animal will engage direcly with the mechanism, leading to a secure capture.
Expert Baiting Tips
- Vole traps are small and have sensitive triggers. a lightweight, sticky bait like peanut butter is recommended because it will stay put and won't weigh down the trigger.
- When trapping voles, more important than the bait you use is the position of your trap. To learn more trapping tips, read How to Trap a Vole »
- For more expert baiting tips, read How to Bait a Trap »